Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Iowa. Flipping Iowa.

I had to spend Tuesday in Iowa, which means I had to watch DJ White and company take out "conference leader" Purdue in a Holiday Inn bar.

For those of you who don't know, Iowa is far.

This is what I had to look at for 7 hours.


Believe that. And you know what, the middle of Illinois is about the same. I felt like we were driving on a treadmill that had been strategically placed in the middle of an anonymous cornfield.

However, my current happiness exists on two levels, which inevitably made the trip a success.

1) We were privileged enough to drive on a road called "Coonhunters Drive." No lie. And,

2) Inside the luxurious Holiday Inn bar, I was able to watch my Hoosiers pound the hated Boilers while sitting next to some idiot wearing awful colors, and chanting "Boiler Up" for no apparent reason.

Remember at the beginning of this season when people were getting excited about a possible Final Four run? Remember when we looked awful for most of the Big Ten season? Remember when DJ White went down and we thought the entire universe was against us? Remember when Bobby Boucher showed up at halftime and the Mud Dogs won the Bourbon Bowl?

Hoosiers win the Big Ten. And the Big Ten tournament. Watch and see.

No comments: