Friday, March 7, 2008

Film Review: Semi-Pro

So one of my biggest regrets of 2007 was my lack time spent in the movie theatre. I'm embarrassed to reveal that I failed to see a single movie up for best picture. Fortunately, this is an issue that I have the opportunity to remedy.

Thus, let's start strong in 2008. I give you my review of the first "film" I've this year.

SEMI-PRO
Starring: Will Ferrell, Woody Harrelson, Andre 3000
Director: It doesn't matter

First of all, there's actors who are type-cast, and then there's Will Ferrell. Will is lucky enough to not care about that, and just gets to play himself in every role. His character Jackie Moon is more or less Chaz Michael Michaels with basketball shoes instead of skates. Chaz was basically Ricky Bobby with skates. And Ricky Bobby was undeniably Ron Burgundy without the suit. But to be honest, that's all I want. And I think the entire reason people go to Will Ferrell movies is to see what he'll say next, as it's pretty clear the script is thrown out the window when the camera starts rolling, which is a good thing.

In fact, the creators of Semi-Pro, similar to the creators Blades of Glory, have no intention of forming any sort of plot, character development, resolution, or climax. We remember in Blades of Glory that they just said screw it, let's have them fly out of the skating rink for no apparent reason. In Semi-Pro, they say screw it, let's have several people get mauled by a bear named Duey, dress Will up in a sun costume, and use multiple close-ups of Will's crotch during what should be the most dramatic moment in the picture, because frankly, who cares! And amazingly, I can't ask for more. I'd much rather spend $10 to watch Will Ferrell do whatever the heck he wants to, rather than watch Will Ferrell try and develop a character.

Anyway, the movie doesn't quite measure up to Anchorman (which is my undisputed favorite Will Ferrell movie), as you don't quite fall in love with Jackie Moon the same way you do with Papa Burgundy, nor did I leave the theatre with as many one liners to use in my every day life. To be honest, I'd probably put it slightly behind Blades of Glory and Talledega Nights, but my guess is that just like all of these ridiculous movies, it gets funnier the more you see it. And I would certainly enjoy seeing it again, so I suppose it was a success.

Grade: B-

No comments: